Monday, December 5, 2011

The Three Wise Things

Our Christmas card last year.  Eves was going through a weird strange smiling phase. Every picture I look of her looked like this.  Love it.

I decided to adopt the Christmas policy that my best friend, Alissa, has created, for HER children, this Christmas.  She, also, has three daughters, and because of monetary concerns, and the fact that we both feel like our children have everything, and that we throw out or donate a ton of their cumulative junk every few months, we have decided to instill a new policy for Christmas.  It is as follows:

You will get three things from Santa and Mom and Dad (combined) this Christmas:

1.  Something you WANT.

2.  Something you NEED.

3.  Something you will USE.

Now, I don't know about YOU guys but each Christmas my kids get so much stuff (from us and Santa, and the grandparents and cousins)  that it is almost overwhelming to them.  Each year, I end up putting away some of the stuff for some snow day or rainy weekend afternoon because they could not possibly use and play with everything they get each Christmas.

But, make no mistake, I usually forget where I put everything and when I do, in fact, discover the stash, I end up regifting them for peer birthday presents throughout the year.  Bad Mommy foils the holidays AGAIN!

Anyway, this is yet another game I am running on my children this Christmas.  I like the fact that they have to actually THINK about what they really want, and not just give me a running daily tally of what fancies them after seeing some nonsense commercial or hearing of a friend's Christmas wish, or something.

If you guys can keep a secret, I'll tell you what I am giving my children, to illustrate my point.





Eves in my boots.  I love the look on her face.


Eva ( because she never gets to go first):

1.  Wants - American Girl Horse (she is obsessed with Horses right now. I have been making her play with Mills' old one that is missing a leg.  She has to lean it against the wall while she plays make believe.  When she complains, I tell her to play Veterinarian.)
2.  Needs - hat and scarf (would like to knit these, but I will probably buy them from Gap Outlet.)
3. Use - American Girl Stable (goes along with her horse obsession. Already purchased and received both, and then today she told me that the number ONE thing that she wants is a Tiger Webkinz in a tutu.  Niiiiccceee.)


This is Mills several years ago, horsing around during a Christmas card photo shoot.  I am sure I was yelling at her at some point.  And look how great this picture is!  Gawd, I've changed.  I am not even sure if I am going to get my cards out this year.  Maybe I'll just do an E-Card.  Mills says, "Whatever Mom! LAAAAMMMMMEEEE"

Mills
1. Wants - a turtle (she's not going to get one because she has killed every living thing that she has ever owned in a matter of weeks.  I got her the Project Runway Wii game that was number 2 on her list.  She knows better anyway.
2.  Needs - winter coat (I like Northface, and I like to buy them about four sizes too big - you know, in case of a growth spurt.  Even when it is passed down, it is too big for Eva for several years.  Genius.)
3. Use - Tetherball (Can't wait for the injuries, fights, and hopefully legal and medical bills of my own and neighboring children.  Good times.)

Hallie.  Last year at Christmas.  It was the last time she let me cut her hair.  It is a hot mess, now, let me tell you.  She has grown about a foot since then.  Eves is right beside me right now (as she ALWAYS is) and she asked who this was in the picture.  THAT is how much Hallie has changed.  WOW.  Mom moment.  Let it pass and publish your blog, for Pete's sake.

Hallie
1. Wants - Pottery Barn Teen Duvet Cover (after she stole Brad's and my down comforter - guess what we are asking for for Christmas?)
2. Needs - boots (she wants the Ugg Turquoise button ones, SHHH, don't tell, she believes she is VERY fashion forward.  These will also be several sizes lager than her foot and will be passed down twice.  I am my Father's Daughter, people.)
3. Use - Dress form (aspiring designer phase, will be selling it on Ebay next summer.)


Now, I feel like I got rather large gifts for each of them so I don't feel a bit guilty.  The other bullshit, like, oh, I don't know , like the recorder Eva wants or the "anything Selena Gomez" request by Hallie can be handled by their grandparents or bought with gift cards.

What I am trying to do for you and your families is to take the fun out of Christmas and I hope that I am achieving that goal for you.  If I manage to make your children as miserable as mine will be Christmas Day, then I will have reached all of my Evil objectives. 

Seriously, this is a little late in the game, but I just LOVED the idea when Alissa shared it with me.  I don't know about you, but I can get manic and forgetful around the Holidays and then I have a basement closet full of impulse purchases for Christmas that they don't remember asking for, or no longer want.

I just like that this idea sets forth a criteria for them to follow so they don't waiver so much as they get closer to Christmas Day.  I mean, I remember Christmas being a day where I really, really wanted something and I either got it or didn't.  Wow, that just sent a pang of sadness down my spine.  Why didn't I get everything I asked for, WHEN I asked for it?  That is something I am definitely going to take up with my therapist.

I asked for ten sessions as my NEED category. (I figure that will keep me until my March birthday, when I can ask for more.) GAWD, I hope I get it, or else I am going to be sooooo DEPRESSED.

Seriously, Hallie, Mills, Eva, and Myself included had as their NUMBER ONE WANT on their Christmas List, a trip to see my best friend, Alissa and her three children, during Christmas break and we are going the day after Christmas.  Come to think of it, it is probably on Brad's WANT list, too, but he would never admit it.

I guess a second recommendation is to visit your best friend this Christmas.  There is no better therapy I can think of.

Peace (on Earth) Out, Peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment