Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Trending locally...Thread, Gallos, and Marmon Valley

Brad and I at Gallo's.  Our fav neighborhood hangout.  Check it out!!!


A few weeks ago, I went to the boutique, Thread (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thread-on-Grandview/277079275649931).  I am a little late to the game, I know, because Arlington is discovering it, but I just wanted to make my friends, say, in Australia (G'day, Mates!) aware of what a refreshing experience it was for me.

I had just finished gettin' my hurr did, and I looked like I look for about six hours, every 8-10 weeks, which is different than I look the rest of the time, because I do not make the effort my hair colourist does.  (Yes, that is the way she spells it on her card 'cause she's a Brit, don't worry, y'all, farn removed, she totally speaks American).  It was flat-ironed, and sprayed which is new to me, I mean completely flat ironed, like even the layers underneath, with a little swoosh action at the sides, that only Michelle at Stephanie's Salon can master, and I put on some bright red lipstick, I recently discovered in my make-up drawer that was a sample of MAC, I got at Nordy's about four years ago, for my Halloween MIME costume (spoiler alert: white face makes your teeth look yellow, even with red lipstick on) and I sauntered into the Grandview boutique with my dark red rain coat, (it had been raining cats and dogs) with my defective black Hunter rain boots on, and let me tell you I FELT FABULOUS.

Soooo, I burst through the door and gave a hearty "Hello" to everyone, even though I only knew ONE of them (Hi, Amber), and they greeted me as though I was not a crazy person with  discontinued red lipstick on, but as their sista', who had just joined the party.

Now, I like that.  I was excited to check out the place and in a great mood, and I was full to the brim from my Fillet of Fish combo meal (the new Mickey's on 33 has caffeine free Diet Coke, y'all.  Holla!)  and I was ready to shop.

So, I saw a friend of mine shopping with her chillen and she was getting ready to go on this fabulous trip and had just scooped up this awesome vintage inspired maxi dress (fav!) and I was positively giddy for her.

I just LOVE a new woman-owned boutique that is local and COOL.  It was eclectic, but also seemed to have  a certain vibe, if you know what I mean.  Everything in there was something I would wear.  Of course, some things caught my eye, more than others, but for the most part, I could easily see myself wearing anything in there, but you can't have THAT, because it would cost a fortune (not that the prices were unGodly, because they weren't, they just had pieces that were unique, and what I would consider, GO TO pieces, when you don't know what to wear, so you throw on something from Thread, with either leggings or a pair of jeans and some cool accessories and you don't look as if you tried too hard.  It is a fine line between looking like you made an effort, and looking self-absorbed.  Like the famous Coco Chanel always said, "Take one thing off, Beeeaaatttcccheees."  Okay, I'm paraphrasing.

They have really cool home accessories that caught my eye, as well.  But, what I really appreciated was their jewelry, which varied in price points.  Guys, this shop is a great place to pick up a gift for your wife's birthday (like, say if it's March 3rd, you still have plenty of time to get something), or if you are last minute Valentine's shopper, and your wife is more into accessorizing herself, than getting flowers or candy, this is a fantastic resource for you. 

My friend, Megan, can put an outfit together. Why, just last night she was expressing how sometimes the "Fashion Police" pages at the back of US Magazine are too harsh on a sista.  I agreed, except when it comes to Rihanna.  She is a hot mess. (Update:  Rihanna looked amazing at the Grammys.  Gurlfriend, got herself a stylist, finally.)

Look, I worship at the alters of T.J. Maxx and Marshall's, but sometimes I feel like I end up buying a bunch of crap from there that I am not sure I would wear, but the label is awesome and the price is enveloped in red.

The thing about boutiques that I like, is that they only have a certain number of a particular item and then they do not restock it.  Therefore, you are guaranteed that not everyone in your area has it, and you can always wear it your way, with a scarf or some cool jewelry that makes it your own.

What I am saying is, that they are unique staples.  Anyway, I got two things, one of which I gave to my best friend this weekend because she looked better in it (she actually has boobs) and I traded her for this stuffed animal fur vest that looked better on ME. 

Moving on, my favorite local restaurant and bar is Gallo's  .  It is owned and run by Tommy Gallo, who is as colorful and original as his dishes.  They are Naluns-inspired, (New Orleans, for you laymen, who have not been there, like my Mother, who pronounces it that way since her visit there a decade ago, which coincidentally is like nails on a chalkboard for me, but I digress), who also owns Gallo's Bar.  It is Brad's and my go to place, when we have a sitter and have no idea where we should go.  This happens a lot to us, does it to you?  It is bizarre.  You would think that if you have the opportunity to go out, you would have, like, one thousand places that have been on your mind to visit, if given the chance to escape, yet EVERY TIME Brad and I are presented with a get out of jail free card, we are at a complete and total loss as to where to go.

Anyway, go to Gallo's on 33.  The food is amazing and the bar atmosphere is really good.  They've got a good Malbec and he has these specials that he runs, where you can get an appetizer, a main course, and a dessert for a reasonable price.  Let's let this local business owner know how talented he is by keeping him in business.  You just can't beat a neighborhood restaurant, either.

Finally, Mills' birthday is coming up and I just booked a Mother-Daughter sleepover at Marmon Valley Ranch (http://www.marmonvalley.com/index.htm), because she loves horseback riding so much.  I read some article somewhere that Angelina and Brad's (the obvious gold standard for child rearing.  Not.) family therapist encouraged them to spend individual time with their children because they have so many.  It's probably complete bullshit, but I try to do that now and again, if the situation arises.  I feel like we spend so much money and effort on our childrens' birthday parties, and then they get all stressed out during them because they are so overwhelming, when we should just spend half that money on something they love to do and then do it with them.

At my girls' ages, which are 5, 8, and 10, I need to take full advantage of the fact that they are still vying for my attention and create memories with them.  You know, other than the memories they now have ingrained in their little minds, of me freaking out on them because they keep getting out of bed at night.  Gawd, that makes me crazy.  I swan (think The Help), when they get married one day, they are going to have to have their husbands scream at them, "Go to bed! I am exhausted!"  every night or they will not be able to get to sleep.

Anywho,  Let me leave you with FOUR recommendations for the price of one, today.  Michelle, at Stephanie's Salon (http://www.stephaniessalonllc.com/) in the Arlington Mallway.  Brad goes to Stephanie and she single-handedly brought Brad's hairstyle into this decade.  Thread (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thread-on-Grandview/277079275649931) - 'nuf said.  Best boutique I've been to in a long time.  Gallo's - my "go to" date place.  And finally, Marmon Valley (http://www.marmonvalley.com/index.htm).  I cannot really give a critique of it, yet, since, we are set to go in April, but I love the idea of it, so clearly I am setting myself up.

No comments:

Post a Comment